It was my mom’s and my favorite homemade treat, but I could never quite make it as well as she did. It only takes three, well four, steps but those simple steps come together to make the best milkshake anyone has ever had.
1) Scoop chocolate ice cream into a large brightly colored plastic tumbler
2) Pour just-the-right amount of skim milk over the ice cream (the proportion of ice cream to milk was VERY important)
3) Stir until you bring the concoction to the perfect consistency (not too thin nor too thick)
4) Eat with a spoon - too thick to drink with a straw
It isn't brain surgery but no one can perfect it like Mom does, and that includes me.
I can remember sitting in our turquoise colored kitchen watching her make the frosty milkshake for our after-dinner treat, taking meticulous mental notes, and wishing mine came out as silky, creamy, and luscious as hers.
Still to this day, I still cannot master her simple milkshake. But, I have found the next best thing. Burguesa Burger, a drive-thru Mexican burger hut on lower Inwood, makes a delicious, chocolaty, rich milkshake. While their monstrous burgers and salty fries are out-of-this-world good, it is their milkshakes that keep me craving. Topped with a sugar doughnut, this shake is so thick that you will resort to using the straw as a makeshift spoon. And the best part, it tastes just my mom's milkshake complete with childhood memories.
So here’s a question for all you out there…well two questions. Where do you find your favorite milkshake in Dallas? Secondly, is there something that your mom made that seems so simple but you can’t seem to master (those that may conjure up great memories)? I look forward to reading your comments!!
- 2222 Inwood Rd., Dallas, TX 75235